|In Theaters||March 6, 2009|
|On 4K UHD||May 2, 2017|
|On Blu-ray||July 21, 2009|
|On DVD||July 21, 2009|
A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion--a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers--Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the Watchmen?
Rated R for strong graphic violence, sexuality, nudity and language.
Box office gross: $107.5 million. View box office history.
Released by Warner Bros. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Review: 'Kick-Ass' finally gets its due on 4K
- Project 52: 'John Carter'
- Top movies, people and news on our site in 2009
- FINAL Comic Con: Quick hits from Day 2 - 'Batman 3' filming next year?
- Jackie Earle Haley set to play Freddy Krueger in 'Nightmare' remake
- Two 'Watchmen' Blu-ray/DVDs will accompany the release of the movie