2006 Action/War Rated R
|In Theaters||October 20, 2006|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||May 22, 2007|
|On DVD||February 6, 2007|
February 1945. Even as victory in Europe was finally within reach, the war in the Pacific raged on. One of the most crucial and bloodiest battles of the war was the struggle for the island of Iwo Jima, which culminated with what would become one of the most iconic images in history: five Marines and a Navy corpsman raising the American flag on Mount Suribachi.
The inspiring photo capturing that moment became a symbol of victory to a nation that had grown weary of war and made instant heroes of the six American soldiers at the base of the flag, some of whom would die soon after, never knowing that they had been immortalized. But the surviving flag raisers had no interest in being held up as symbols and did not consider themselves heroes; they wanted only to stay on the front with their brothers in arms who were fighting and dying without fanfare or glory.
Rated R for sequences of graphic war violence and carnage, and for language.
Box office gross: $33.6 million. View box office history.
Released by DreamWorks. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Paramount marries up with Blu-ray again: 37 titles coming next month
- 'The Departed' takes home the biggest prizes of the Oscars
- Oscar noms 'Dream'y, full of 'Little' surprises
- 'Dreamgirls' and 'Borat' among the most memorable winners at the Golden Globes
- 'Babel' leads Golden Globe nominations with 7